Thursday, May 3, 2012

Tragedy #6

Which characters appear to be miserable int he play and why?  When and how do the characters express their misery? What do the characters desire and what stops them from going after what each desires? 

What I noticed from the reading this night was that Bride is very miserable. Throughout the play I think mother and Bridegroom are also miserable. During the 2.1 Bride didn't want to get married and was very confused on what she wanted to do. I think her conflict with who she truly loves was getting in her way. "There are dark clouds- an ill wind inside me. Who hasn't felt that?". I think that through this quote it shows how miserable bride is to be getting married even though she is happy. I think that bride expresses most of her misery when she is around her maid, because she doesn't express her  anger around Bridegroom nor father. Lorca does this through the syntax. He changes the syntax and also the word choice in order to show her two different feelings. I think bride desires to be with Leonardo because in the end she ends up escaping with him, and this could possibly be why she doesn't really want to marry Bridegroom because she is still in love with Leonardo. I think what keeps bride from escaping with Leonardo is that they are both married and that they don't want to make themselves look bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment